Monday, September 20, 2010

On the Side: Pancetta & Sage Potatoes

Many a weekend, I find myself wandering blissfully through Trader Joe's, admiring the wide array of products and attempting to restrain myself from purchasing the entire store. Yes, I am admittedly a Trader Joe's-aholic.  So when I noticed these adorable "Teeny Tiny Potatoes", which were clearly a new addition to the produce section, I just had to buy them.  Have I also mentioned that I automatically like things more when they're miniature?  Mini cupcakes, for instance, LOVE.  I think it's a girl thing.  Anyway, these teeny tiny tots make a fabulous side dish and when paired with cubed pancetta (Italy's answer to bacon), and woodsy sage, they're pretty irresistible.

Ingredients:
1 lb. (1 bag) Trader Joes' teeny tiny potatoes (fingerling potatoes are also fine)
2 tbsp. pancetta, cubed
2 large sage leaves
Salt and pepper, to taste 
Light drizzle of olive oil (if desired)

It doesn't get much easier than this.  Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Rinse potatoes and add half of the bag, approx. 1/2 pound, to boiling water, seasoning lightly with salt just before adding potatoes.  In a dry saute pan, begin crisping the pancetta over medium heat.  The pancetta will render off some fat, similarly to bacon, but not nearly as much.  When potatoes are tender, drain water, slice in half, and add to pancetta.  Coat potatoes in pancetta and pan drippings and season with salt and pepper.  Slice sage and add to pan.  Briefly warm the sage through to release flavors and finish with a light drizzle of olive oil if desired.

Makes 2 scrumptious (and adorable) accompaniments to any meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment