Sunday, September 26, 2010

Oatmeal Pancakes with Blueberries & Flax Seeds

When I was growing up, we would have pancakes on Sunday mornings at least once a month; or as often as my brother and I could talk my Dad into it.  And while my Mom was normally the executive chef around our house, my Dad undeniably held domain over pancake prep.  Now these weren't fancy pancakes, we generally just used plain Bisquick mix, however they were colorful!  My Dad always allowed my brother and I to choose which color we wanted our pancakes that morning and we'd add food coloring accordingly.  Sometimes we'd even have to make two different colored batches when my brother refused to eat "girly", pink pancakes.  Not surprising to anyone who knows him!  Although I now live across the country from my family, the pancake tradition continues in one way or another.  It was my Dad, in fact, who gave me the idea for this recipe.  I borrowed a basic recipe for Oatmeal Pancakes from AllRecipes.com and jazzed them up a little with the addition of blueberries, flax seed for a nutty crunch and Omega 3 boost, vanilla extract, a touch of cinnamon and a little lemon zest.

Ingredients:
1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 tbsp. granulated sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Generous sprinkle of cinnamon, to taste
3/4 c. rolled oats
1 c. nonfat milk (or whatever you have in the fridge!)
1 1/2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 1/2 tbsp. toasted flax seed
1/2 c. frozen blueberries (or as much as you like)
Zest of 1 small lemon

Mix whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl combine oats, milk, eggs, oil and vanilla extract.  Slowly add oats mixture to dry ingredients and stir until combined.  Stir in blueberries, flax seed and lemon zest.  Heat skillet over medium heat.  Lightly butter the pan and pour batter in roughly 1/4 c. circles.  Cook until golden brown on both sides.  Drizzle with maple syrup and indulge!

Makes 4 servings.  Whip up a batch on a Sunday morning, enjoy some then, and save a few for an easy breakfast during the work week!

No comments:

Post a Comment